I saw this recipe posted on NZGirl and had already organised to do some baking with my friend last Thursday. Then I saw this recipe and thought, it's meant to be!
So we went ahead with our baking date and made cookies, they were actually for a charity bake sale that my friends work was putting on, cookies for a cause make them taste so much better!
I have to admit I needed a glass of milk with my giant cookie and the next day when I took one to work I had to have half at morning tea and half at afternoon tea.
The original recipe is from Picky Palate which is a wonderful blog!
I've modified the recipe a little to help us Kiwis out. The actual cookie recipe is really really good so I this could become my staple cookie recipe.
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Picky Palate
Makes approx 20 large cookies
225g Butter (softened)
3/4 C Packed Brown Sugar
1 C Sugar
1T Vanilla Essence or Extract
3 ½ C Flour
1 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
2 C Chocolate Chips (I used Cadbury)
2 Packs of Oreos (or 20 Oreos)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C and line two cookie trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and both sugars until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and slowly add to the wet ingredients with the chocolate chips until just combined. The mix will be very crumbly.
- Make balls of cookie dough by using a spoon to scoop and your hands to shape.
- Place one ball of cookie dough underneath the Oreo and another ball of cookie dough on top and seal together, making sure the Oreo is fully enclosed in the dough.
- Place cookies onto cookie trays and bake for about 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack then enjoy!
Don’t worry if the cookies seem a little on the soft side when you first take them out. They cook a little bit longer when you take them out anyway and they will be fine by the time they are cooled…but delicious if you eat them while still warm.
If you’re buying the Cadbury chocolate chips you’ll need to buy two bags because one wasn’t quite enough and those choc chips tasted amazing!
I am entering this recipe in this months Sweet NZ. Please check out Shirleen's amazing blog Sugar & Spice for all of the lovely entries.